I'm proud to introduce myself as a new mod of r/lawncare

Coatsink

Jun 22, 2019
I'm proud to introduce myself, no longer as just an obsessive lawn care enthusiast, but as a new mod of r/lawncare. I've frequented and cared for this community for a year or so and I'm happy to be a part of its future. It has been neglected for a couple years, but just like a neglected... weedy lawn... with some hard work and your help... we can get it back on track. I've got some changes and ideas I'd like to get feedback on.

**Changes**

* I've made a new Snoo "mascot" icon with a lawn mower and an LC (LawnCare) baseball cap. I'll be happy to hear your opinion or suggestions for a different subreddit icon.
* Edit: He now has [grass-stained New Balances](https://b.thumbs.redditmedia.com/0zZxTtzOPCf6ZHKa-SXnDNX9NfeYfHvNz3ebAhKpGds.png). Thanks, u/socalibertarian!
* General color / banner changes.
* This [stickied post](https://www.reddit.com/r/lawncare/comments/2zv45z/welcome_to_rlawncare_before_submitting_a_question/) will eventually migrate to the sidebar permanently and be unstickied. We only have 2 sticky spots.
* Edit: Migrated.
* Rules added to sidebar. Please, suggest more rules if you think they're necessary.
* Current rules:

1. Include clear photos if you're asking for help.
2. Give a general location when asking questions.
3. If you're showing off your lawn, tell us how you got there!

* Some of these changes haven't made it to [old.reddit.com/r/lawncare](https://old.reddit.com/r/lawncare) yet. I have to essentially do the changes twice and first I'm focusing on the new reddit layout.
* Some verbiage changes on the sidebar.

**Ideas**

* Lawn of the Month
* This is something that's done over at [thelawnforum.com](https://thelawnforum.com). Basically, you can nominate your lawn to be lawn of the month.
* Voting
* I'm not 100% sure how to approach this... I think it will be a stickied thread where you guys can submit your lawn. The comment with the most votes at the end of the month is Lawn of the Month?
* I'm not sure how to prevent tampering with votes by downvoting, though...
* The winner:
* The winner's lawn photo will be posted on the sidebar for the entire month as the "Lawn of the Month."
* The winner will get custom flair... something like "LOTM May 2019."
* Green grass upvote / weeds downvote icons
* Chat room?

*\^ This is all open to suggestions and opinions.*

**Some fun bonus stats**

* We average 20-35k pageviews a day!
* We average 4-6k unique visitors per day.
* We're growing by between 70-130 new members per day.
* December has the least traffic and May has the most traffic.
* Tuesdays are the busiest and Saturdays are the slowest.

That's all I've got for now. Please, give your feedback! Happy mowing!

Jun 16, 2019
Great suggestions!

Can we have a daily/weekly "What is this weed?" thread? It could guide folks on how to post detailed photos to get more accurate identification. I know there are resources in the sidebar but for some weeds the generic photos they show to compare against aren't exactly like what we're dealing with.

This would reduce the amount of "what is this weed" posts, but I'm not sure that there's so many that it's a problem. I think this is something I can set up to automate, too, but I'm not sure. Do you have any examples of other subreddits doing this?

A sidebar entry/link with sub-recommended big box store and online products for fert, seed, herbicide, etc...

I think this is possible--there's a lot of leeway on the size of the sidebar. If it gets out of hand in size, we have a wiki that we aren't using... I wonder if we should start working on that. [/r/lawncare wiki](https://www.reddit.com/r/lawncare/wiki/pages). Apparently the only requirement to modify it is 100 karma. Can someone verify that they can edit this? If you and others want to start compile a list, then I can get working on it.

Maybe a combination of sidebar links to the wiki can keep the sidebar concise but also informative.

Thanks for the feedback!

Coatsink

Jun 22, 2019
Only thing with the first point is that is good as long as they don't limit adhoc posts. Sometimes time is a factor depending on weather.

Facebook Currency

Apr 23, 2019
Milo is on the shelf this year due to my soil tests results. :( I'm super bummed about it. Too much phosphorus in my soil.

Here's my [resume](https://imgur.com/a/dLbtPiI). ;)

Facebook Currency

Apr 23, 2019
Agreed. If he isn’t that guy that bought several truckloads of milorganite a few days ago, he is clearly not the man for the job.

Coatsink

Jun 22, 2019
I think that's how it would have to work... otherwise people would have to dig to nominate others? Apparently there is a "contest mode" for voting, but I've never tried it.

DOOM Eternal

Jun 22, 2019
I guess I should have said stale on the content and design. There was no "new reddit" design whatsoever.

I did work through the user reports for the last month, however. Some of you are fucking savages.

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
Everyone is getting ready for their mid-week mow/ weed check on Wednesday, and on Saturday everyone is busy doing their projects.

Gamer 1

Jun 16, 2019
I've seen that option, but I am afraid of it going down the route of r/gardening where people with legitimate questions and discussions are buried and only pretty pictures get upvoted. It's like Instagram over there. I don't want to lose the community to that. I think, for now, I'm gonna keep it how it's been.

About us

• Facebook Libra Coin is built on an open-source blockchain called the Libra Blockchain featuring its own proof-of-stake protocol. Backed by a reserve of various assets designed to give it intrinsic value, it is governed by the independent Libra Association tasked with evolving the ecosystem. Facebook teams played a key role in the creation of the Libra Association and the Libra Blockchain, working with the other Founding Members. While final decision-making authority rests with the association, Facebook is expected to maintain a leadership role through 2019. The Libra mission is to reinvent money and transform the global economy so people everywhere can live better lives.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Follow us on Facebook