Greetings! Several weeks ago I accepted an invitation to become a mod here at r/exchristian. This is your community, so I wanted to introduce myself.

Wolfenstein

Jun 22, 2019
This post got too long, so I'll leave my personal introduction here and use the comments for a bit of housekeeping on the subreddit. Please feel free to use this post for a meta discussion on the state of this community. Thanks!

**My testimony**

I was raised Baptist, went to a Christian college and got a (now useless) degree in Bible and Theology, I then got involved with a charismatic church and planned to become a missionary. Christ was the core of my identity, everything about me was centered on my relationship with God. I met a woman at church, although we didn’t have much in common, we loved that we were both super Christian, and we soon got married.

I was in the middle of a pastoral internship when I started to seriously doubt everything. It began with accepting the science behind evolution, then questioning inerrancy and questioning how a loving God could send anyone to hell. I dove into studying the historicity of Christianity, and was dismayed to see that there were naturalistic explanations that could account for the writing of the gospels and the rise of the church.

But I still held onto my faith because I just knew Christ was true – I could feel him in my heart. I thought of it as a spiritual wisdom that surpassed human understanding. Eventually, however, I had to admit that my subjective certainty in Christ was no different than the faith people had in other religions – if their faith could lead them to a false religion, then why assume my faith was any more valid?

Some people feel relieved to be free from religion, but I wasn’t happy at all. Letting go was a long painful struggle. I spent years praying and reading and looking for signs, and trying to commune with God through love and holiness. I thought even if there was just a small chance that Christ was true, then it was worth it to waste my life for the chance of knowing him.

However, I eventually gave up hope, and had some rocky times with my wife, but then seemingly out of the blue she decided to quit Christianity too. Now both of us are agnostic/atheist, for me it has been more than a decade since I believed. We have 4 kids (ages 2-9), 2 dogs, and a fish; some day we hope to get chickens.

Facebook Cypto

Jun 22, 2019
I’ve never seen any Christians try to win us back on here... which means that you guys are doing your job super well! Thanks! Also hi!

My Libra Coin

Apr 22, 2019
Thanks! I know moderator /u/error410_gone in particular does a great job of keeping the tone civil. Also though, I think the user base here is just full of really good people, you all are overwhelmingly supportive of each other.

DOOM Eternal

Jun 22, 2019
Thanks, I'm glad to be here! Weekend memes have been a rule for a long time before I showed up, but it's not very fun to enforce so I don't think the rule has been upheld very consistently.

My Libra Coin

Apr 22, 2019
Agreed. Memes are hit or miss, and I prefer the more thoughtful content in this sub (articles, news, personal experiences/discussions) anyway...

But a little levity for the weekend seems good to me.

My Libra Coin

Apr 22, 2019
Exactly, my faith existed b/c I felt it as true, but people have the same feelings about all sorts of things that can't all be true. Religion is based on faith, but faith is not a useful tool for learning about reality.

Coatsink

Jun 22, 2019
So we live in the suburbs of a major city and are only permitted 4 hens / no roosters, honestly, for this town it's surprising they let us have any. Our neighbor has 5, but she's breaking the law! We'd like to hatch the eggs ourselves so the kids get to see the process. Not sure what to do with the hens when they get old.

About us

• Facebook Libra Coin is built on an open-source blockchain called the Libra Blockchain featuring its own proof-of-stake protocol. Backed by a reserve of various assets designed to give it intrinsic value, it is governed by the independent Libra Association tasked with evolving the ecosystem. Facebook teams played a key role in the creation of the Libra Association and the Libra Blockchain, working with the other Founding Members. While final decision-making authority rests with the association, Facebook is expected to maintain a leadership role through 2019. The Libra mission is to reinvent money and transform the global economy so people everywhere can live better lives.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Follow us on Facebook